Alves announces his departure from Barcelona

Dani Alves

 Veteran Brazilian right-back Dani Alves will leave Barcelona when his contract expires at the end of this month, bringing the curtain down on his second spell with the Catalan club after just over six months after joining on a free deal.


The 39-year-old Brazilian won six La Liga titles and three Champions League titles in his first spell with Barcelona between 2008 and 2016.


"After more than eight years of defending the colors of this shirt, it is time to leave," Alves wrote on his Instagram account on Wednesday.


"So many years of football and a life that has always been so grateful to those who respect it, life decided to give me the opportunity to come back here to say goodbye."


Alves, who has played more than 100 international matches with Brazil, participated in 16 matches in all competitions last season when Barcelona finished second in the domestic league, 13 points behind champions Real Madrid.


And coach Xabi Hernandez, his former teammate, signed him in an attempt to save the team that was ranked ninth in the Spanish league.


Alves, who played for Juventus, Paris St Germain and Sao Paulo after leaving Barcelona for the first time, was content to take a small salary to help the club avoid violating FFP rules.


"I would like to thank all those responsible for the opportunity they gave me to return to this club and to be able to wear this wonderful shirt again," Alves said.


"I hope they don't lose my madness and my daily happiness. I hope the rest of the team will change the history of this beautiful club. I hope that from the bottom of my heart."

No comments

Powered by Blogger.